Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Elder Richard G. Scott - An Example

Elder Richard G. Scott, of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, passed yesterday afternoon at the age of 89.

As I was reading his biography over at LDS.net, one story stood out to me.

And, since I never know what we will or won't have time to cover in class, I wanted to be sure that you all had a chance to read it.
"In college, Richard received the opportunity to join an elect honorary engineering society. At the initiatory event, everyone who attended was drinking. Richard asked for a soft drink, but when he raised the glass to his lips, he smelled alcohol in it. At that point, he realized that everyone in the room was looking at him.
Richard risked their disapproval if he did not drink the beverage. But instead, he chose to be faithful and put the glass down. After he did so, he noticed that some other people did the same. Richard G. Scott later said, 'Do what is right and others will follow your example.'"  (retold by Abby Thorne via LDS.net, from Elder Scott's book 21 Principles: Divine Truths to Help You Live by the Spirit ... which is going to be added to my TBR [to be read] list asap.)
 Having taken the chance to read his biography, I now have a deeper admiration and love for this servant of God. I would recommend that as you learn more about him, you also read about his marriage -- I know that you're not supposed to date until you're sixteen, but I want you to be aware that it's never too early to decide what kind of person you want to marry or what kind of person YOU want to be as an adult.

(Truly, some of the best advice that my mom gave me when I was a teenager was to make a list of the qualities that I wanted in my future husband ... and to look to the adults in my home ward as I listed the attributes that I desired the man I'd marry someday. Even though I didn't look at that list often after I'd written it out, I can honestly tell you that it did affect how I approached dating. Also, after I was engaged, I stumbled upon that list again ... and, except for two non-vital wishes, my fiance was the embodiment of my list.

I also would recommend that you have non-negotiable items in your list [For me, they were things like "worthy Priesthood holder" and "will take me to the temple."] and some "nice, but not vital" requirements [e.g., likes to dance/plays basketball/is a fan of your favorite sports team, has a great accent, ... stuff like that]. Sometimes, the person we end up with is a little different than we expected. Thank goodness my poor husband puts up with the fact that I'm not into sports and don't play basketball well (or at all, really).)


But I really wanted you to get to know a little more about Elder Scott. I do find that the more I know about people (not just our church leaders), the more I like them.
... I really should work to learn more about these leaders BEFORE they leave this mortal state, shouldn't I?

So, please be smarter and better than I am now by making that change NOW instead of when you're in your mid-thirties.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have anything to add to the conversation?
Are there any questions that weren't addressed?
Just let me know! Thanks!