Monday, September 21, 2015

About the Second Coming: Death

On Sunday, the question that we spent most of our time discussing was about what will happen to us at the Second Coming.

I was asked, "Well, if we're still alive then, what's going to happen when we do die? Will we die, then leave the Earth and go to the Spirit World, THEN get resurrected and come back here? Or what?"

And, I was very impressed ... I didn't even think about those things until I learned about them in Seminary and Institute.

I remember Brother Dale Kirby, my Institute instructor at WOU, teaching us that "man will reach the age of a tree" (or something. I promise that I WAS listening to him! But my notes from class are buried in storage), which he said meant that at around 100 years, we'd be translated.

And, as I did a search on LDS.org ("second coming, death"), a few lessons from Gospel Principles came up. (Seriously, I know that's it's a manual geared for adults ... but it is an AWESOME manual. I'm not just saying that because I was a Ward Missionary many, many moons ago. It really is a great resource.)
Not surprisingly, THERE was the scripture reference that I'd been looking for!
"In that day an infant shall not die until he is old; and his life shall be as the age of a tree;
 "And when he dies he shall not sleep, that is to say in the earth, but shall be changed in the twinkling of an eye, and shall be caught up, and his rest shall be glorious."  ----- Doctrine and Covenants 101:30-31

Look at that! I actually remembered the verse correctly! So it's not just Sister Cox Doctrine, but established scripture.
This is also stated again in Doctrine and Covenants 63:50-51:
"And he that liveth when the Lord shall come, and hath kept the faith, blessed is he; nevertheless, it is appointed to him to die at the age of man."Wherefore, children shall grow up until they become old; old men shall die; but they shall not sleep in the dust, but they shall be changed in the twinkling of an eye."
 And the bit that I remember Brother Kirby saying about living to be a hundred years old?
Apparently, my brain is better than I gave it credit for ...
"There shall be no more thence an infant of days, nor an old man that hath not filled his days: for the child shall die an hundred years old; but the sinner being an hundred years old shall be accursed." -- Isaiah 65:20
And it's also confirmed (because it's better to have multiple sources/witnesses) by prophetic counsel:
 "Men on the earth will still be mortal, but a change shall come over them so that they will have power over sickness, disease and death. Death shall all but be banished from the earth, for men shall live until they are the age of a tree or one hundred years old,and then shall die at the age of man, but this death shall come in the twinkling of an eye and mortality shall give way to immortality suddenly. There shall be no graves, and the righteous shall be caught up to a glorious resurrection." (Prophet Joseph Fielding Smith, Church History and Modern Revelation,1:461) 

So, there we go. We WILL, provided we're still alive when it happens, be resurrected immediately. Which does go with the teaching (like in Doctrine and Covenants 101:29) "And there shall be no sorrow because there is no death."

I hope that you found this helpful.
In case you want to learn some more, here are some helpful links about this topic:
  • (CONFESSION: Even though I'm not a Gospel Doctrine instructor [though I have done that for a short time, too], I sometimes use the teacher's manual instead of the student's manual. There's tons of great quotes and references in there!)
  • Doctrine and Covenants and Church History Student Study Guide: Doctrine and Covenants 63 - Preparing for Zion (Institute manuals are AWESOME. I mean, you're getting ready for Seminary, I know. And you're going to get some great manuals for those classes ... but, I LOVE Institute manuals. Don't get freaked out by the fact that they're thick ... they're full of great stuff.  ... AND, unlike me, growing up SO LONG AGO, you can just look up ANY of them online ANY TIME. If I was lucky, I might have ordered one from Church Distribution OR maybe borrowed one from the ward library or another family ... Please be aware that you're VERY blessed to live on the earth in this time. It's pretty awesome.)

Thanks!
Happy searching, pondering, and praying!
I'm so very glad to get to learn along with you!

If you have any other questions or would like me to elucidate (YES, I am going to use big words. Because you can handle them. I believe in you. ^_^) on something that we've covered, just shoot me a comment.
            Sister Cox



No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have anything to add to the conversation?
Are there any questions that weren't addressed?
Just let me know! Thanks!